In the winter season, many people find it relaxing as the warm weather is going away. People enjoy this weather while some people get concerned. This weather brings back the health issues such as cough, cold, and many more illnesses. Cough not only gets rid of irritants. More coughing can cause discomfort and irritate you and others as well. Sometimes the coughing is not seasonal it is because of the allergens or pollutants that are present in the air. At times, people rush to the hospital to take anti-allergen. Home-made remedies can also be a good option as they can be prepared conveniently. Here are some of the home-made options that are available in your kitchen:
- Honey: Little sweet in taste. Extracted from the nectar of the honeybees and is available in a variety of colors. Honey is used in face creams; body wash can also help in treating cough symptoms. Honey can be consumed raw or infused with drinks and mixed with foods. Drinking tea fused with honey can fight infections. As the honey has a sweet texture so we should take it in a negligible quantity. It can also help in fighting acid reflux and infections.
- Fruits: Most people often wondered how can fruit treat cough. Different fruits had different compositions. Fruits contain an antioxidant that helps in fighting an illness like the flu. Fruits rich in vitamin C help in fighting the cold:
- Vitamin C: These are rich in antioxidant and is used to fight cold infections and produce collagen in the body. The deficiency can cause a condition like scurvy. Vitamin C is found in immune cells and is depleted during infection. The deficiency of Vitamin C weakens the immune system and, in turn, makes you prone to infection. Vitamin C-rich foods are potatoes, oranges, orange juice, strawberries, and peppers, and many more.
- Pineapple: Pineapple contains enzymes like Bromelain and has anti-inflammatory properties. It is used to remove mucus and suppress coughing. We can give this as juice by mixing pineapple juice with:
- pippali powder and ginger powder.
- Salt, pepper, and honey.
- Chopped strawberries and pineapple chunks.
- Steam: Steam is the basic remedy to open the nasal passage. A hot shower is also beneficial. Allow the room to be filled with steam. A few minutes can help you fight the symptoms. Later drink water to fight dehydration.
Take a steamer pour water into it. Boil the water, put a few drops of Vicks or peppermint. Covering your mouth and nose with a towel take deep breaths. This will help you get the nasal cavities open and the headaches that had been following afterward.
- Fluids: Try to keep yourself as hydrated as much as possible. As the dry mucus is very irritating. Drinking plenty of water makes it wet and helps you get rid of it fastly. The dryness in the throat is also the common cause of cough. Tea, soups, and broths can relieve the symptoms. Honey along with lemon can be taken.
- Probiotics: These are not used to fight infections but acts as an immunity booster. These are used to balance the bacteria that are present in gastrointestinal flora. These are the bacteria that live in your intestine. We can add probiotics to yogurt. Depending on the supplement and the manufacturer, the intake may vary.
The cough condition usually took 2-3 days to recover. But in case of worsening the situation, you might have to see a doctor. As the cold often seems to be accompanied along with the fever. In case it is taking over 5 days, go to the doctor immediately. Avoid contact with the infected person.