Are you tired of implementing hit-and-trial methods to resolve QuickBooks error 6138? And now you are looking for reliable solutions to fix this method. If this happens to you, then this blog post is meant for you. But, proceeding further, do you ever wonder why this error happens? What are its causes and symptoms to identify the error? If you are curious to know about the error, then read this blog. Here, we will discuss the error in detail.
- What does QuickBooks error 6138 Mean?
The QuickBooks error 6138 falls in the 6ooo error series of QuickBooks. Usually, this error arises when you are trying to access, backup, or create the company files. The company files plays an important role in QuickBooks. They hold the crucial financial records of your business. The unavailability of the data files will hamper your work adversely. When this error happens, it is accomplished by the error message “QuickBooks Error -6138, -XXX: An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file.”
You must resolve the error immediately as it is related to the QuickBooks company files.
- Factors that cause QuickBooks Desktop Error 6138
Several factors lead to QuickBooks error code 6138. The proper understanding of these causes will help you in fixing the error easily. From the heap, our experts have jotted down the important causes that trigger this error in QuickBooks. The reasons include the following:
- An outdated QuickBooks will result in this error.
- The company file that you are trying to access is not located on the server system.
- The network or the transaction log files got damaged or corrupted.
- The incorrect hosting of QuickBooks will provoke this error.
- Early Symptoms to Identify QuickBooks Desktop Error 6138
It is important to identify the error correctly before implementing the troubleshooting methods. The error signs/symptoms that help in the identification of this error are:
- You are unable to open or access the QuickBooks company files.
- An error window with the error code with the warning message appears on the user’s screen.
- The system starts responding too slowly to your commands.
- An active window will crash.
- The application will start showing uncommon behavior, such as missing data.
- Easy Troubleshooting Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error 6138
There are a handful of solutions that will help you eliminate the QuickBooks 6138 error. You can choose any solution. Let us have a quick look at each solution of error.
- Solution 1: Fix the hosting Services
If you are trying to access the data file that is not hosted on the server, then this error occurs. Take the help of the below-mentioned steps to fix the company file issue.
- Steps to perform on the server computer
- Open the QuickBooks on the host computer.
- Further, click on the file menu tab and then choose the utilities option.
- Select the host multi-user access from the menu if this option is visible.
- In case the option is not visible, then skip it.
- Steps to perform on the workstations
- Open the QuickBooks on the system and log into it by using the admin credentials.
- Now, tap on the file menu option and then pick the utilities option.
- Check whether the host multi-user access is visible or not. If it is visible, then do not click on it.
- Select the stop multi-user access option if it is visible.
Hopefully, after performing the above-mentioned steps, the QuickBooks error 6138 will be resolved. If not, try to fix the error with the other solutions.
- Solution 2: Run the QuickBooks File Doctor
You can resolve the error with the help of the QuickBooks file doctor. QuickBooks offers various tools to repair minor errors within the application. The tools are available free of cost. QuickBooks tool hub is one such free tool that is a combination of various tools used to rectify QuickBooks errors. The below-mentioned steps will help you in fixing the error 6138 in QuickBooks.
- First of all, you need to download and install the QuickBooks tool hub from the official website.
- After installing the tool, double-click on the tool to open it.
- Now, click on the company file issue tab and then tap on the Run QuickBooks File Doctor option.
- Locate the company file that is having the issue. Once the file is uploaded, press the start scan button to start scanning the file.
- The file doctor will scan the company file to detect the issue. If any issue is detected, then it will fix it automatically.
- Once the process is over, click on the finish tab.
- The scanning and fixing process of QuickBooks company files will depend on the size of the company file.
- Open the QuickBooks and access the company file to check if the issue persists or not. If it persists, try another solution.
- Solution 3: Rename the.Nd and . TLG files
The corrupted network and transaction log files will result in this error. You can fix the error by simply renaming the transaction and network log files. The steps that will guide you are listed below:
- Open the company file folder and then look for the files having the .nd and .tlg extensions.
- The name of these files is the same as of your company file.
- Now, right-click on the files one by one and pick the rename option from the available options.
- To rename the files, just add .old at the end of the file name.
- It will inform QuickBooks to create the new network and transaction files whenever you open the application.
- Now, open the QuickBooks again to see whether the issue is fixed or not.
- Solution 4: Update QuickBooks Desktop
An outdated version of QuickBooks will result in the error. You can resolve various QuickBooks errors by simply updating the application. The update process is simple and is described with the help of below-mentioned steps.
- Open the QuickBooks and log into it by using your admin credentials.
- After that, tap on the Help menu and choose the Update QuickBooks option from the drop-down list.
- Further, click on the update now option. Also, make sure that you have put a tick mark on the reset update option.
- Now, click on Get Updates.
- It will install the update automatically in your system.
QuickBooks is a reliable accounting software used by startups to manage their accounting tasks. It is quite frustrating when your work is interrupted by technical glitches or some errors. However, with the right knowledge, you can fix these errors easily. Hopefully, this blog helps you in fixing the QuickBooks error 6138. The methods prescribed in this blog are efficient enough to fix the issue. If you feel the need for an expert, you can call us immediately on our helpline number.